Note: This is not a school, HDSB orSchoolConnects problem.
It is a problem with your Internet Service Provider (ISP).
The following suggestions may assist parents with this problem:
How can I fix the problem so I can get school and HDSB emails?
1. Look to see if school emails are in your “spam” or “junk” folder and then mark them as “not junk”/”not spam”.
2. Add the following email address to your contact list: firstname.lastname@example.org
3. Check your “webmail” service. That’s where you go onto the Internet and login to a particular website to check your email. More information on this below.
Which Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are impacted ?
We are continuing to investigate the problem. It currently appears to be impacting parents who use “Sympatico" and "MSN" as their Internet Service Provider (ISP). This may be the result of these ISPs recently strengthening their spam filters, which are now filtering out the school and/or HDSB messages sent by "SchoolConnects".
Desktop email software users
If you have a desktop email program (such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Thunderbird, Entourage, Mail for Mac etc.), these "missing emails" might not be in the junk folder that is part of that software.
All ISPs also have junk mail filters, which are regularly "beefed-up", to keep ahead of spammers, and “catch more spam". Undoubtedly some legitimate emails are being caught in these filters. If they are caught by these filters, you may never see these messages or know they were even sent to you. .
Check your webmail
All ISPs have a "webmail" service.
- If you don't know the webpage to log-in, start with the home page of your email company (or ISP)
- From that page there should be a link to "webmail", or "check my email" or something similar.
- You will need to know your login (usually your email address) and your password. Your password may be hard to find if you use a desktop program exclusively, as the software usually remembers the password for you, so you probably don't need to remember it on a day-to-day basis. If there is no “forgot your password” reminder feature, or you really can't find it, you may need to call your ISPs "help" desk.
- Once you are "in", you should check the junk mail folder. Again, if you find emails from “SchoolConnects”, mark them as "not junk" and "add the email address” to your address book, or "safe senders list".
- At this time, you may want to check the "security" settings, or the "junk mail" settings.
The following webpages may also be of assistance to you.
From Bell's website (Sympatico)
Creating a safe sender list
Adding an email address to our safe sender list ensures that messages from that address will not be moved to the junk mail folder.
1. From your Bell Mail inbox, click on Options in the top right corner. Select More Options from the drop-down menu.
2. Under Preventing junk email, click Safe and blocked senders, then click Safe senders.
3. Type the email address of the sender in the Sender or domain to mark as safe box, and then click Add to list.
From the Outlook.com website
Errors sending or receiving email
I didn’t receive an email someone sent me
If someone sent you an email but the message never reached your inbox, here are some ways to fix the problem.
Check your Junk folder
1. In your Outlook.com inbox, click the Junk folder and search for the missing email.
2. For any messages that shouldn’t have been sent to Junk, right-click the email and then clickNot junk. The email will be moved to your inbox.
Check your inbox filter and sort settings
You may not be able to see certain messages if your inbox is filtering based on categories, or if the sort order is different than usual. Both features are at the top of your message list.
- For filtering, check the View: setting. If it doesn’t say View All, click the setting and select All.
- For sorting, click Arrange by. If an option is selected you don’t want, select the correct option. If it’s already selected, but the order is reversed (for example, it’s sorted by date but the oldest message is at the top and you want the latest), click the selected option. The order will switch.
Note: If Conversation is selected, your messages are grouped by subject line and the message list only shows the last email in a conversation. To remove the grouping, click a different option, for example Date.
Add the sender to your contact list
Email from people who are in your contact list will always reach your inbox.
1. Find a message from the sender’s current email address and open it.
2. In the message header, click Add to contacts beside the sender’s name. The mail address will be added to your contact list.
Check your Blocked and Safe senders lists
1. Click the Options icon (gear wheel) and then click Options.
2. Under Preventing junk email, click Safe and blocked senders, then click Blocked senders.
3. Follow the instructions on your screen.
1. When you’re done, click Safe and blocked senders at the top of the page.
2. Click Safe Senders and follow the instructions.
3. To go back to your inbox, click the Outlook logo.
I’m not receiving email from Hotmail, MSN, Sympatico or Bell Internet on my Blackberry smartphone
If you’re not receiving email from your Hotmail, MSN, Sympatico or Bell Internet accounts, but are receiving email from other accounts, it’s likely that you need to re-validate your Hotmail, MSN, Sympatico or Bell Internet accounts. For security reasons, these accounts need to be re-validated every 90 days. You’ll get a reminder message about 3 days before your accounts expire. You can re-validate your accounts from your computer or from your BlackBerry smartphone.
If you’re not receiving email from any account, read this article for help troubleshooting:
To re-validate using your computer:
1. Log in to the BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS)
2. On the Email Accounts screen, click the “no email icon” next to the email account you want to validate (top left of your screen).
3. A Validation screen will appear. Type in your email account password and click OK.
4. You’ll see a confirmation message if the re-validation was successful.
To re-validate using your BlackBerry smartphone:
1. Press or touch Menu.
2. Click the Email Settings icon located in either the Setup folder or on the BlackBerry smartphone Home screen.
3. If necessary scroll down and type your username and password and then select Log In.
4. Select Edit under the email account you want to re-validate.
5. Type in your email account password.
6. Scroll down and select Save.
If you require further assistance, please contact Technical Solutions.
School News >